The enemy of my enemy is my friend

After writing with glee when the Cardinals pulled within one game of the NL Championship, several folks have been kind enough to ask my thoughts now that they're out of it and that team from Houston is in.

The truth is this: I am not happy about it.

I am a Cardinal loyalist, and I believe in following that to its logical extension - being a National League loyalist. I root for the NL in the All-Star Game and in the World Series. After all, what's good for the league is good for the team, etc., etc. Not to mention the whole Designated Hitter thing, which taints the AL like an assault conviction on a preschool teacher.

But I am also a petty, petty man. Therefore, I find myself pulling for the White Sox and reveling in the Astros recent disasters. In a month, or maybe even two weeks, I think I'd be cheering for the 'Stros. But the wound is so fresh that I want to see those punks get their asses flogged.

It has been pointed out to me that an Astros win would look better for the Cardinals. It would mean that they were only beaten by the very best team in baseball. I accept this logic but refuse to follow it. The power of reason cannot satiate my thirst for revenge.

Enjoy the World Series ... unless you're an Astros fan.

No comments: