Newport Beach Recap


Fatherland played to a good sized house at the Newport Beach Film Fest on Friday night, less than half of whom were family, crew or friends of the production. The 8:15pm slot was pretty cherry, though there were other notable films screening at the same time.

We were part of a program of four war-related shorts that the programmers titled "Full Metal Jacket." I was kind of hoping there would be a least a few walk-outs who came expecting the Kubrick film. It was a cohesive program but man, watching that much war is a bit of a downer. I think we could have used a quirky romance somewhere in the middle. As the program ended, everyone dried their eyes and Rob and I participated in a brief Q&A. The filmmakers were all relatively brief and humble, which may be a first in Q&A history.

The festival continues through this week, but I really enjoyed the bit I was able to attend. My favorite film also happened to be the first I saw - a sensitive and suspenseful short from South Africa called Small Killing.

I spent the last part of my time in SoCal visiting good friends that we see far too little of. It was a real thrill to be back in the area, and I was reminded of many of the great and some of the not-so-great things about that place. But as a visitor, it's much easier to just relax and enjoy the things that make Los Angeles unique.

No comments: