Independent Spirit Awards

As a card carrying member of the Independent Film Project, I voted in this year's Independent Spirit Awards. So, if anyone's interested, my selections included:

Best Feature: The Diving Bell & the Butterfly
Best Director: Julian Schnabel (Diving Bell)
Best Screenplay: Tammra Jenkins (The Savages)
Best Male Lead: Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Savages)
Best Female Lead: Ellen Page (Juno)

For the record, I was not able to see every film in every category in which I voted. After many moments of soul searching, debating the fairness of casting a vote without consideration of all nominees, I decided it would be much more fun to just vote anyway. Besides, it's not like this is a world changing election, like the presidential race or Best Week Ever.

Among the less commercial indies, I enjoyed Great World of Sound, a first-feature about two wannabe record producers sucked into a pyramid scheme. It pulls a bit of a Borat, by shooting some of its scenes with unsuspecting musicians in the "real world."

No comments: