Imploding Towers


Ah, who doesn't relish those carefree memories of college? Well, mine exploded on Tuesday. Part of them anyway.

Iowa State University demolished half of the Towers dormitory complex - the fabled "suitcase" buildings. Urban legends about the origins and fate of the Towers have floated around for years. Several people told me the 39-year-old buildings were only intended to last for eight years. Somehow, I always doubted that the 11-story concrete structures were ever intended as "temporary" housing. But the final bell tolled for Knapp-Storms when the concrete facades began crumbling, dropping chunks of concrete on the students below.

Having lived for two years in the Towers, a time when I learned a lot about the world and about myself, watching the buildings come down made me think "WHAT A SWEET EXPLOSION!"

Do you like to watch things blow up? Of course you do. Check out some great video footage from KCCI-TV.

No comments: