To the moon Alice ... I mean, Andy

My gay upstairs neighbors have started fighting very loudly, and I must say it's a culturally confusing situation.

Of course it's awkward - it always is when couples start referring to each other as "you f***ing asshole!" So it's got that whole COPS, white trash domestic disturbance flair. But the fact that it's two dudes puts the whole thing in a different light.

If a husband and wife are fighting, you think to yourself "if he hits her, I'm going to have to call the cops." But with two men I find myself thinking "sweet, maybe there's going to be a fight." Instead of "I hope Judy can get out of that awful situation," we neighbors ask questions like "do you think Ken could kick Gary's ass?" They seem pretty evenly matched to me, and believe it or not they're both in really good shape.

Let's face it, there's a rhythm to how men and women fight. The woman's voice will generally reach a very high pitch, and she'll unload a litany of complaints at blinding speed. Then the man will say something to the effect of "well, f*** it then", tip over a piece of furniture and slam the door on his way to the bar. Instead, I'm getting two guys saying "f*** it" and tipping something over. I just hope they've worked out different bars to go to.

No comments: