Live Strong Etc.

Maybe it's just my Midwestern sense of modesty but I cringe every time I see one of these "I gave money to a cause" wrist bands.

You know what I'm talking about. As far as I know, it all started with those yellow, rubber, Lance Armstrong "Live Strong" bracelets. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in the City of Angels you couldn't cross the street without running into some hipster/hipstette who was wearing one. It got so big there were even people selling phony yellow wristbands to make a profit. I thought the whole thing had run its course, but now I see people wearing blue, green, red, whatever. And each one apparently denotes that the wearer has the high moral standing of having donated a couple bucks to some worthy cause.

I don't begrudge these charities for attempting to raise the old awareness, but is that really what's happening here? Hats off to Lance for raising all that money for cancer or cycling or living strong or whatever the hell that was all about. But sporting a piece of jewelry to alert the world that you donated some money to charity makes you kind of a tool in my book.

I guess I have an old fashioned notion of charity, where you give to a worthy cause because it feels like the right thing to do. Demanding recognition cheapens the transaction. The wrist band phenomenon pisses me off for the same reason I can't stand wealthy people donating money to have buildings named after them. It's great when our financial superiors lay down the cash for a new concert hall or University building. But then naming the building after yourself turns it into something other than a selfless act.

Give to charity - whatever your means. But do it for some satisfaction other than your name on a building or a trendy wristband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No matter how annoying it is to have it pushed in your face, at least folks with the charity-supporting bands are putting their money towards something beneficial.

About a year ago, my sister was making small talk with a college-aged young man who was wearing one of these wrist bands. She asked if it meant he supported some sort of cause and he said, "No, I didn't want to give my money to charity but I like the way they look. This one is by Nike."

In the words of my sister, "What a douche bag."