Rock & Roll Weekend

I'm on the verge of an exciting and diverse weekend of music, and it feels like there's only one thing to do about it - blog.  That's right, blog - as a verb.

The four shows/events range from a multi-day festival to a backyard concert.  All are happening in Iowa, three just in Des Moines.

Tonight I'll be at a small, backyard performance by singer/songwriter Dick Prall.  Dick's doing a nationwide tour exclusively of house parties - a cool concept and an exciting, intimate way to see a show.

Saturday and Sunday bring the ever-awesome 80/35 Music Festival back to Des Moines, with a really killer lineup this year.

If I'm not face-down from exhaustion or otherwise Saturday night, I plan to get over to the Vaudeville Mews to catch a free show from Poison Control Center - great guys who just put out an amazing record.

Then Sunday night I'll be rolling across the state to a barn outside Maquoketa for a 4th of July Barn Show being put on by Daytrotter.  Another unbelievable lineup in an unlikely location.   This will be more of a working event, however, as I'm currently producing and directing a documentary film about Daytrotter.  It's an exciting project we've been working on for some time, but keeping mostly under wraps.  We expect to launch a more public face for the film in the coming weeks.

I'll work to post updates on the shows here throughout the weekend, and will absolutely post more on the documentary as soon as I can.

No comments: