The Five Greatest Songs in the World

There's a lot of stories which illustrate the old wisdom "be careful what you wish for, you might get it." When I took advantage of an offer which got me five free Itunes downloads, I had no idea I was hurling myself into just such a conundrum.

Now I sit with access to damn near every song I can think of - but only five of them. So I am forced to prioritize which five songs in the entire world I want most. Sure, I could always download any other song for 99 cents. Or I could go out and buy any of them on CD. But just as no cheeseburger tastes better than a free cheeseburger, I know damn well that no song sounds better than a free song.

My instinct is to go for one hit wonders. Not necessarily artists who only had one hit, but artists who only had one that I have any interest in listening to. There's a whole world of guilty pleasures out there, like Journey's "Don't Stop Believing." It's great fist pumping music, but does it make the Top 5? I suppose I could pick an artist and download five of their songs, but that seems so limited.

So, if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Whether they be the five greatest songs of all time or just five songs that sound really kick-ass together, I could use some help in breaking this psychological deadlock.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Night Ranger-Sister Christian
Joe Jackson-Is She Really Going Out With Him?
Too Short-In The Trunk
Ace of Base-The Sign
Chronic Penguin-The Ballad of John White (The Crappin' Man)

These are the only five songs you will ever need.

-The Reverend S.

Greg Jerrett said...

Hold the phone there Chip, Don't Stop Believin' is not only worthy of being in your top 5, it's probablly too damn good for you. But if it makes your life any easier, I could just e-mail you all the Journey you will ever need ... which is just the greatest hits album. I recommend the guilty pleasures though. Songs you want but would never in good conscience buy.

All out of Love-Air Supply
American Girl-Tom Petty
Anything by Skynrd
Wake Me Up-Evanescence
Nasty Boys-Janet Jackson
It's Raining Men-The Weathergirls (Bryner probably has this one though)

Anonymous said...

Journey's greatest hits? That's just a single, right?

-The Reverend S.

Anonymous said...

A little Mix of Flavor!
1.In the Still of the Night- Whitesnake
2.Salsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
3.Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
4.Lady is a Tramp - Mr. Frank Sinatra
5.Silent Lucidity - Queensryche

What did you choose?