The Saddest Music in the World

One of my favorite uses for rock music is wallowing in self-pity. Back in the day, I hosted a Valentine's Day Sucks radio show which consisted of the most depressing, gun-in-the-mouth type love songs I could find. Now that I lack such an outlet, I wanted to at least share a list of my favorite tracks for contemplating the horrible futility of love/life.

I'm not saying this list is comprehensive by any means, but I guarantee if you put these songs on you will feel splendidly miserable:

One Step Up - Bruce Springsteen
Transatlantacism - Death Cab For Cutie
Birds - Neil Young
Mr. Blue - The Fleetwoods
Crying Time - Ray Charles
Misguided Angel - Cowboy Junkies
Radio Cure - Wilco
Ghost - Indigo Girls
I'll Come Running Back to You - Sam Cooke
Those Three Days - Lucinda Williams
Black Star - Radiohead
Martha - Tom Waits
Another Lonely Day - Ben Harper
Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen
Hallelujah - John Cale (or Jeff Buckley)
Nothing Takes the Place of You - Toussaint McCall
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan

Have a Happy Valentines Day! :)

No comments: